Dental Tips: How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?
Dental Health Week, a major annual oral health campaign will be on 3 – 9 August.
This aims to educate Australians about the importance of maintaining good oral health by promoting four key messages:
- Brushing at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride-containing toothpaste.
- Cleaning between your teeth daily using floss or interdental brushes.
- Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet and limiting sugary and acidic intake.
- Visiting the dentist regularly for dental check-ups and preventive care.
This year’s campaign’s main focus is on the harm sugar does to our oral health, aiming to help Australians ‘get sugar savvy’.
This includes the recommended daily sugar consumption levels, advice on checking food labels, and spells out the effect sugar has on our teeth.
This information is supported by three main sugar messages:
- Avoid consuming foods and drinks with added sugars.
- Opt for foods with less than 10g of sugar per 100g.
- Look out for hidden sugars when purchasing foods and beverages.
These important messages will be reinforced through the tagline: ‘How much sugar is hiding in your trolley?’, which draws on the concept of hidden sugars and checking food labels to make healthy choices.
Making healthy choices at the supermarket means making similar smart food and drink choices at home.
Refusing to buy an unhealthy item in the supermarket means you don’t have to continue saying ‘no’ at home.
You may think everyone is practising a good oral routine, but the reality is, the oral health of many Australians is not near where it should be.
- Less than 50% of Australian adults have had a dental check-up in the last 12 months.
- 53% of Australians brush their teeth only once daily.
- Nearly 40% of Australians never floss or clean between their teeth.
- 73% of young people are consuming too much sugar.
- 47% of adults are consuming too much sugar.
There are many different ways to access sugar information as part of Dental Health Week in 2020.
Visit your trusted Canley Heights dentist for one-on-one advice where your questions can be answered.
Quality Dental Care in Canley Heights
Our team at Canley Heights Dental Care is here to make every visit to the dentist as comfortable and pleasant as possible. Contact us to make an appointment.
Visit your Canley Heights dentist today!
Same-Day Dental Emergency Appointment Available in Canley Heights
We are located at 1/229 Canley Vale Road in Canley Heights.